In responding to the new century national defense needs, the Department of Mechanical Engineering (DME) and the Department of Aeronautical Engineering (DAE) of the Chung Cheng Institute of Technology (CCIT) are officially combined in 2007, with the new name: Department of Mechatronic, Energy and Aerospace Engineering (DMEAE), and a new goal to approach in teaching and researches on these modern engineering technology fields. And renamed the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering in 2015.
The original DME was founded at Mainland China, in 1917, and entitled as the Department of Weapon Manufacturing of Han-Young Military Institute. It became “Department of Mechanical Engineering” of CCIT at Taipei, and soon moved to the current campus at Tahsi, Taoyuan, in 1968. The Master Program of Mechanical Engineering was approved in 1969 to enhance the professional quality of technical officers in military system.